Frequently Asked Questions
In general, no. Every home / office has a wireless router and a modem - the Kibosh Router simply becomes your new wireless router.
[PC]--->[Kibosh WiFi]--->[Modem (provided by your ISP)]--->WWW
Usually the hardest part is disabling the old WiFi to make room for the Kibosh WiFi.
Call 888-727-3018 or schedule a call here if you need assistance.
Yes. The Kibosh Router will work with all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) around the world.
Kibosh Mobile will work on all iOS and Android devices.
It has 3 external 2.4 & 5 GHz antennas that will give you around 4,000 sq ft range in a home of wood construction.
If you find you still need more range, a traditional range extender(s) can be easily added (more info here).
Note that you can use your own wireless router with Kibosh DNS for a family safe Internet only (no parental controls).
Kibosh was designed by seasoned SysAdmin's and so was designed to require no effort post setup. That last thing in the world anyone needs is another frustration point.
Once in place the Kibosh just works without pestering you. There is no complicated configuration - the bad stuff is already gone.
Your Internet will be immediately free of objectionable content and then you can use the Parental Controls (available from anywhere via the Global Dashboard) if and when you need them.
There is nothing to misconfigure. Nothing to forget. Nothing to worry about.
In general, no. Kibosh performs the very resource intensive Internet Content Filtering on powerful servers in the cloud. Most of the filtering interaction is over DNS which is imperceptibly fast, and once you're on the website Kibosh is done (so it's not filtering all the time - just that split second before the website loads).
However, the Kibosh is a powerful internet filter and as such it's a layer of security being added to your current ecosystem. We feel it's an important layer of security, but that being said, as with any security solution it will at times interfere with normal operations. We are all very sensitive to Internet interference. With Kibosh, in a default configuration, that interference is close to 0. You can make it more restrictive if you want, but that starts to introduce problems.
In regards to speed - this gets complicated because there are so many variables that a website speed test cannot account for. Our advise is this - use the internet before Kibosh, use the internet (like YouTube) after Kibosh - is it slower? Use your own judgement.
Kibosh was designed to be transparent - you should not even know it's there.
Yes. Kibosh Mobile VPN will ensure the Internet is always family safe on Android, iOS, and Windows. No matter what Internet is being used (Wi-Fi or Carrier).
Included are step by step instructions for full parental control.
On a Kibosh Router a search for anything related to pornography will not work.
Therefor there is no need for an emergency reporting feature. One less thing to worry about.
Note that you can always see what any device is doing on the Internet, in real-time or historically, via the Web Usage monitor which is available in the Kibosh Admin Dashboard (globally accessible from any browser).
Yes, any browsers Incognito Mode or Private Browser mode will still be Kibosh Family Safe.
It also works on Brave's Tor browsing tab.
Yes, DNS over HTTPS as recently implemented by FireFox, Chrome (which is wrong) does not work.
Also, browsers offering Tor like Brave does not work.
The battle for your Internet privacy and freedom rages on behind the scenes, but Kibosh stays at the front of that battle keeping you and your family safe.
As you read this, Kibosh is about 10 years old and were on gen 2. There will be a gen 3 at some point, but that will be mostly cosmetic. So at this point you should not need must help from us as the Kibosh system has been thoroughly debugged and is being used around the world (but mostly in the US) in homes and businesses.
That being said, if you do need to talk to someone PLEASE schedule it here.
It's worth the wait as our Tech Support is second to none, and will solve your issue.
If it's the Kibosh we'll of course replace it immediately at our expense.
If you need help now, leave a website chat not or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A ticket is created for each issue you open (via phone / email) which you can then see / monitor from your Members page.
Nothing is bulletproof per say but Kibosh is as close as can be technically accomplished today, and most certainly superior to any software based filter (which are usually free like NetNanny - as it should be).
Kibosh is a very different solution and to all software based filters on a few levels:
- Everything we do on the Internet passes through a router (a.k.a. gateway) and this is the logical place to perform any Internet filtering (we believe).
- So Kibosh does Internet filtering at the router and there is no need for software to be installed on any device.
- Kibosh offloads the intensive filtering to the cloud using proprietary methods. This improves overall performance and prevents local tampering of filtering.
- All devices using a Kibosh router will be filtered - if you have a Kibosh and the Internet is working it's family safe, period.
- In addition to removing all forms of pornography the Kibosh also blocks Malware. You should not be paying for any locally installed malware filter software if you have a Kibosh router or Kibosh DNS.
An Android device with Kibosh VPN installed, and then secured with a quality app-locker, is the safest device a parent can hand to a child. There is no way to bypass the protection. Also it's the least annoying (depending on how restrictive you get with the app-lock).
Detailed step by step instructions to do the above are included.
No, if you are using a Kibosh Router all devices will be protected with Enterprise Grade Malware blocking. What's more, this form of malware protection if far superior to software based solutions because:
- Kibosh works on everything without software needing to be installed.
- Software based malware / antivirus cause more problems than they solve and open you up to more attacks.
- Kibosh blocks infected sites before you get infected as apposed to after.
- You pay one flat fee for all devices vs a fee for each device with software installed.
Also, Kibosh Mobile VPN gives your mobile devices the same level of malware protection, and for mobile this is a rare and important feature today.
In summary, you do not need to pay for malware software any more once you have Kibosh in place.
Plus with a Kibosh you can easily see if you have malware on your LAN via Global Dash > Web Usage Logs. These logs will clearly show you have malware - note this is the most reliable way to tell if you have a LAN infection.
If you need malware removal support please see NTS Services (our parent company).
Because pornography on the internet is so rampant its impossible to avoid even when conducting the most benign search.
Because it actually works without a bunch of hassle (i.e., it's sustainable).
Because it was made to protect our families first, not to make money.
But don't take our word for it, try the other ones first. Kibosh will be here if / when you're ready.
Yes, but you pay for shipping which can be expensive.
If you live in Canada:
- Drop us a note with your address and email
- We'll reply with a shipping cost
- You decide if you want to proceed
- We'll send you a custom URL from which to order
Usually the shipping cost to Canada is in the $30 - $50 range.
1. My latest issue with Cleanrouter is that when the router is reset (either by disconnecting and reconnecting the power or during the daily reset, which I am not even sure why there is one) the internet becomes available for a short time before the filter kicks in. Has anyone reported such issues with Kibosh?
A: No, this cannot happen with a Kibosh. If you're using a Kibosh router and the Internet is working - it's filtered, period. At all times and rebooting cannot change that or even misconfiguring it.
2. Does Kibosh have a way to turn off the internet to specific devices? (Example: I want my PC and PS4 to have internet but want my PS3 to be unable to use the internet)
A: Yes, using the Global Dashboard you can control which devices can access the Internet and when.
3. Does Kibosh have the ability to block search engines other than the ones that it can force safesearch on? (I mean other than blacklisting every one of them manually)
A: Yes, by default Kibosh blocks all unsupported search engines.
Search engines that are supported and thus will ALWAYS be in Strict Safe Mode: Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Yandex.
4. Can any aspects of the filter, like Youtube restricted Mode, be enabled or disabled for only specific devices on the network? (Example: Forcing restricted Youtube on the PS4 but not on the PC)
A: Not currently. If you put YouTube is strict mode it affects everyone.
Note however, that we've done testing on YouTube numerous times. Yes there is some sexualized content, but we've never found porn (although some of the thumbs will give you that impression). YouTube is such a big part of the Internet now, we recommend not going further than Moderate mode which turns off comments.
5. Can Kibosh block websites by Top Level Domain? (Example: Like if I want to block all websites that have a ".adult" Top Level Domain)?
A: Yes, we block most of those by defalt of course, but you can easily as as many as you like in your Kibosh's blacklist.
6. Can Kibosh's blacklist block subdomians? (Example: Blocking "myaccount.google.com" without blocking all of Google)
A: No, because of HTTPS we can't do that anymore. So we can either block or allow access to the entire site.
7. Are bad images and videos scrubbed from sites/apps like Discord, Twitter, or Reddit?
A: No, you'll need to block those sites and / or use the Internet Scheduler to ensure they cannot be accessed after hours.
8. Do the Blacklist/Whitelist/Device List settings persist through the reset button on the router (I am assuming that it has one as most routers do)being pressed (and held down for a hard reset)?
A: Yes, these cannot be cleared because they exist in the cloud.
CleanRouter had an issue where it would all revert to base settings if the hard reset was used.
A: Kibosh can never be reset like that. It's technically impossible.
Don't see your question here? Drop us a quick note and we'll respond.